When preparing to move to Aberdeen

If you are relocating to Aberdeen do get in touch with our Outpost team in Aberdeen. We will be able to assist you with any non contractual questions that you might have. We have an Inside Guide available which contains information on preparing for your move to Aberdeen and provide information when settling into your (new) location. With this Inside Guide we aim to assist you with the relocation process. 

A few topics of interest prior to you move are listed below. For further details and or other topics of your concern, please contact us at Outpost Aberdeen directly, we will be happy to assist you further.

Documents to bring

Before departures make sure you have all relevant and documents of use ready. It is useful and advised to carry the following documents with you: valid passports and visas, documents confirming your assignment, current driver’s license, children immunization booklets, marriage certificate, birth certificate, insurance documents, and letters pertaining to your financial history.

Passport and Visa

To enter the UK, you and members of your family who travel with you must have valid passports and visas where required. If you are an EU citizen you do not need a visa. If you are from outside the EU, you might need a visa depending on how long you are staying and your reason of stay. More information on passports, visas and customs and how to apply for a UK visa can be found online.

For information and advice on your visa and work permit please contact your transfer adviser from your HR service center.

Vaccination certificates

No vaccination certificates are required for entry into the UK from any country except for travelers arriving from an area of yellow fever infection. Persons not appearing to be in good health may be required to undergo a medical check prior to entry. Vaccination certificates for children might be needed when registering with General Practitioners in the UK.

If you are planning to start working in the UK

If applicable , bring signed and stamped records from your previous employers. Diplomas, certificates and qualifications (preferably originals, otherwise certified copies). If you have diplomas in a foreign language, you might want to get them translated before coming to the UK. They have to be translated by a certified translation agency. You can also contact NARIC, the National Academic Recognition Information Centre, for an assessment of your academic or vocational qualifications.

Car Insurance

If you would like to apply for a no claim discount for your UK car insurance, you need to bring a certificate from your present Insurance Company stating the period no damages were claimed.

Drivers license

Depending on your license, most drivers with a licence issued in a non EU countries can drive in the UK on their full valid licence for up to twelve months from the time they became resident. However, they will not be able to exchange their driving licence for a UK licence but will need to get a provisional licence and sit a theory and practical driving test. You can apply for your provisional driving licence by completing the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office® branches. Once you have obtained your provisional licence you may set an appointment for the theory test and after you have passed the theory test you may book your practical test. You must have passed the test within a year after becoming a UK resident. For further information visit the government website on motoring in the UK. And find out if your current drivers license is valid in the UK, for how long it is valid in the UK and or if you need to take a theory and practical before you can and or start driving in the UK.



Looking for rental accommodation and or buying a property, good websites to look at are: ASPC, Zoopla
RightMoveAberdeen Property Leasing, Home Guard, City Lets  

Please be aware that when you are seeking to buy, you will require a solicitor to do your legal work in making an offer on any property.  For further information on the process on how to buy property in Scotland please visit ASPC for more information. If you would like to have more information on housing or would like to be advised on housing locations please get in touch with our team on Outpost Aberdeen.


Children and Schooling

Private vs. State

In Scotland primary school is compulsory from the age of 5. Most schools come under the State system and no fees are payable. They usually have uniforms which pupils are requested to wear. There are also a number of independent fee-paying schools in Aberdeen, which have entrance exams. Strict uniform codes apply at these schools. Aberdeen also has an International school, the International School of Aberdeen.  However the education system in Scotland is of a high standard, both in the state and the private sector. Many Scots who are financially able to send their children to private schools choose to send them to a state school because they are satisfied with the level of education offered.

If you would like to acquire more information on the performance of your school of preference, reports on schools and nurseries by HM inspectors can be found through Education Scotland.

School zoning

All state schools are zoned; this means that you have to live in the catchment area of the school in order for your child to attend that school. Please note, you cannot ‘book’ your child into a state school in advance of arrival for this very reason. It is usual in Scotland for children to attend the nearest school in the area in which they live. However, under the 1981 Education Act, parents have a freedom of choice of school. Although all state schools are zoned, parents can request a place for their child in any school they choose. In reality, the child outside the catchment area may not always be admitted as local authorities have the power to restrict entry for certain reasons such as overcrowding and this may well be the case with very popular schools. If you want your child to go to a specific state school, you need to find a house in the area of choice. Please note that some of State schools are in high demand and even struggle to place all children in their catchment area, it is advisable to contact the schools for more information.

Information on school zoning might help you to determine where to live. School catchment area information, school reviews and interactive maps by the Aberdeen city government can support you in your search.


Shell works with the MyFamilyCare regarding childcare, their service is focused on supporting families in finding childcare solutions. Main focus is on private and afterschool care, including nanny care etc. The extent of help from their service will depend on eligibility, by registering with them you will be able to see how much your benefit is from their help. Direct contact Margaret McMenemy, Childcare Consultant.  


Inside Guide on Aberdeen

The Inside Guide contains more information on preparing for you move, useful information once arrived, school and educational matters, practical information on the medical system in Scotland and life of leisure information in and around Aberdeen.

To access and download the Inside Guide, please login via the GOS website. For a first time login, you will need to request a temporary password. Please follow the instructions given. Alternatively we will be happy to send you the document via email. Do not hesitate to contact us directly through Outpost Aberdeen and request a copy.


Outpost Aberdeen

Office hours: Mondays and Thursdays - 9.00am to 2.00pm
Languages: English, Dutch, French
Contact >>